Thursday, June 3, 2010

For My Feathered Friends...

Welcome to what I have deemed my "bird sanctuary."

Essentially, the overgrown fence line at the back of the property has become too big of a beast to be tamed by one gal. So as the saying goes...if you can't beat 'em, join 'em...and I'm big enough to admit defeat. Instead of cursing the jungle in my backyard, I have chosen to embrace it. To cultivate it lovingly, trim it as I can and enjoy it for the wildlife that it brings my way.

As I have laid in my hammock evening upon evening, I have enjoyed watching the numerous kinds of birds flit back and forth. Some are "twitter-pated," others are chasing worms and still others are just content to nest upon the branches and serenade me as I swing back and forth.

I've been wanting to add several bird feeders in the back so I can attract more birds, watch them eat and play and of course keep them fat and happy! My budget is an issue, seeing as I'm back in school and can't justify the expense of several new feeders. Therefore, I turned to google. The results yielded the ever-popular 2-liter soda bottle feeder. Which is nice, except I don't drink soda. So this meant nothing more than a scavenger hunt for me! I raided my office and lo and behold the lightbulb went off when I saw my collection of CD spindles.

Okay, so on to the real reason you're reading this! The "how to's" of the CD Spindle Birdfeeder.

What you will need:
1 pair of needlenose pliers
1 Box cutter knife
1 CD Spindle
Some rope (I used raffia)
2 sticks (you could use chop sticks, popscicle sticks...)


First, using the pliers, I poked three holes in the base of the spindle to allow any moisture to drain out. Then, using the pliers, I poked two holes in the side at the top of the spindle cover. I gathered several strands of raffia together, twisted one end and ran it through the holes and then tied it together at the top creating a loop to hang the feeder on.


Then I made the holes for the sticks that would give the birds a spot to perch. I attached the cover to the base to give the sides some support. Once the pliers break through, you can twist them to make the hole large enough for your stick. Do the same thing on the other side. You can place as many of these as you want. I went with two since I was using a smaller spindle.


Once the holes for the perches were finished, I then took the box cutter, and VERY carefully made a horizontal cut about half an inch above the perch, then two vertical cuts, going up from each end of the horizontal cut. This creates a flap. I then had to score the plastic from the inside to get the flap to stay open. This is done by making a light cut at the top of the flap. The flap will then push in and stay open and keep bird seed from just pouring out of the feeder.


Here is a detail shot of the flap going in:


Here is the completed construction and the tools used.


I went with a very earthy, natural look to compliment the plastic : ) Here is the finished product hanging in the backyard. The birds have already discovered it and are feasting away!

And then for your viewing pleasure, here are a few more pictures from around the bird sanctuary. I missed getting pictures of all the honeysuckle while it was in bloom but in the spring the back is just filled with it! I love the smell!




And of course, Daisy Lou has her running trails beneath the mass of vines and branches, there is a ground hog that calls the bird sanctuary home and I think she likes hunting it.

No comments: