Monday, August 31, 2009

Failure to Fantastic...


Well, this is what I get for thinking I was going to be industrious in the kitchen.

On my trip to the grocery store not long ago, I thought to myself that zucchini bread sounds REAL good! Not really knowing how I would find the time to make any, I ventured to the produce aisle anyway and made my selections.

Now for a week I have stared mournfully at the bag of greenness laying in my fridge. I couldn't take it any longer and figured today was the day those veggies were going to be used! Now, I cannot even convey to you how incredible stupid I feel about this....but I got out my recipe book, found Aunt Mary Lou's recipe for Zucchini bread, then realized, "wait a minute!!" I didn't buy zucchini!! I bought CUCUMBERS!!!!!!!

AND....what makes this worse, is the fact that I cut up one of the cucumbers to make a turkey breast/cucumber sandwich for lunch all week. Using them KNOWING they were cucumbers, yet STILL thinking they were zucchini that I could fashion into some sort of tasty goody for myself.

Well, to salvage the produce and not let it go to waste, I found a recipe I had been given for sliced cucumber salad. To my amazement, I had all the required ingredients, so this is what I will have to look forward to this week, not the zucchini bread.

Here's the recipe:

1/3 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
1/3 c. sliced onion (optional)

Whisk together until dissolved. Slice cucumbers and pour mixture over them.

Now, this recipe is very vague. And having never made this before, I wasn't real sure what I was doing, so I doubled the recipe thinking that the vinegar mixture should cover the cucumbers. I placed the sliced cucumbers in a long, shallow rubbermaid container, poured the mixture over it and placed it in the fridge.

If any of you have made anything like this before, let me know if I'm doing it right or wrong!! AND if you have any other good recipes that involve cucumbers, pass them along!! I still have two left in the fridge that need to be eaten soon!!!!!

I'm still laughing at myself over this one. I can't believe I'll admit this, but I even looked at the bin of zucchini at the store and reassured myself that, no, cucumbers were what I needed!!!!

I would say I need more sleep, but I have done nothing but slept the past two days because of a migraine...so I guess there's no excuse this time. I've just lost my mind!

Author's Edit: Further evidence I have LOST MY MIND!!! >> I came in here to make this quick post while the chicken cooked on the stove. Went back to the kitchen to check on said chicken - knowing it had been long enough and it would need to be flipped over...yeah...I forgot to turn the burner on. Good grief!

2 comments:

Carol said...

Amber, you really do crack me up!

Amber said...

: ) I'm glad! I'm here for your amusement every day of the week!! Just think of all the things I do that I don't admit to here on the blog! Just today I got out of my car, walked to my front door and hit the unlock button on the car remote to unlock my front door. Yeah, that got me real far!!! And what's even more pathetic, is that that is about the 3rd time I've done that!

Perhaps a personal assistant would come in handy for me. Guess I'll put that on the Christmas wish list :)