Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sunday Morning Thoughts...


I haven't posted any pictures yet, and since photography is what I do, I thought my first official image posts would go to my two wonderful nieces! They spent the night at "Auntie Am's" house Friday night and then we had a portrait session downtown after doing nails and hair! They are so much fun and keep me laughing all the time! I just love them, and I'm so thankful that the Lord brought me back to Henderson to be closer to them and the rest of my family.

It truly is a blessing, when so many others my age are miles and miles away from their families. I wouldn't want it any other way right now.


Ah! I could just eat them up and pinch their cheeks off!!!

So this morning, I wasn't feeling the best, was too tired and I'll be honest - too lazy to get up for church after working late last night and then being unable to wind down and go to sleep until after 2 am. But the church I've been visiting the past few Sundays has a live feed of their sermon on their website.

So, in the spare room at my mom's there I was cozy under a blanket, with the Bible at my side, my computer on my lap and my little pooch curled up at my feet. I allowed my thoughts to take in the scene, at how wonderful it is that even though I wasn't there, I was still able to receive the blessing of hearing the sermon.

It was on James 4:11-12:
11 Do not speak evil against one another, brothers. The one who speaks against a brother or judges his brother, speaks evil against the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. 12There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy. But who are you to judge your neighbor?
I have many thoughts on this, as this has been something the Lord has been dealing with me on and something I've been thinking a lot about lately. Pastor Ted said that this not only applies to slander against a brother, but also speaking truth about a brother that wasn't ours to speak. This is where my thoughts and questions have been lately.

There are times we may share something, then immediately think 'Why did I say that?' It's in those times that we have to examine our hearts and our motives. Did we speak out of our own pride at setting ourselves above the deeds of others? In doing so, we become their judge - taking the place of God. And James writes, "Who are YOU to judge your neighbor?"

Our words are powerful. My words are powerful. There are many other truths that Ted brought out in this scripture, these are just a few that I'm processing, convicted of and asking forgiveness for.

I love it when the Lord confirms his message to me when He uses a sermon to speak to the very things that have been on my heart the past few weeks. I pray He will place His mighty hand over my mouth and keep me from judging and speaking against my brothers, sisters and neighbors.

2 comments:

Carol said...

I would be interested in checking out that website. There may be times when I can't go but could watch that. Please remind me to get that from you...I am constantly scatterbrained!

Amber said...

certainly! The website is www.hbcowensboro.org

Kevin and Amy also log on and watch in times that they cannot make it. It is truly a blessing! I hope you are feeling better Carol! We missed you last night!!!!