Friday, July 31, 2009

The Glory of His Creation: Alaska Parte Dos


"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands." Isaiah 55:12



I absolutely adore God's amazing creation! I never, ever grow tired of how He constantly amazes me with His imagination and attention to detail. The variety of grasses and trees and weeds and the colors they shine forth. And the mountains! My goodness, I am made speechless at the sight of towering peaks that split the clouds and attract the snow and seem invincible and yet even the mountains bow to their Creator and sing forth of His Glory.

These past nine days have been so incredibly sweet and rich in so many ways. First of all is the fact that I've been able to reconnect with a childhood friend -- and even more wonderful is that she and her husband are willing to put up with me for two weeks!! : ) The fellowship and conversation and laughs have been such a time of encouragement and renewal in the Lord. And to goof again like we did so many years ago is such fun!

But it doesn't end there!

The past ten years of my life the Lord has blown me away. Completely blown me away with experiences like going off to college on my own, traveling and doing missions in three different countries - learning new languages, forming new friendships, bridging cultural and language barriers solely through the love and compassion enabled in me by Christ alone, and new friendships that have sharpened, humbled and encouraged me.

All this and yet there are times still when I am discontent with my life. Begging for more and viewing the grass on the other side as always greener. I think back upon my early teen years when I would sit with my best girlfriends and we would plan how our lives would be. Married by 20, house full of kids soon to follow, homes right next to each other where we would share meals and play with our kiddos for hours on end in the back yard -- not a care in the world.

And yet, that is not what God had planned. In my young mind that was the biggest I could dream for myself -- and yet, my Father had much grander plans for me!

Feasting upon mountain top views not only in Alaska but in Guatemala and Malaysia; sitting with rural Malay families on straw mats and sharing the salvation of Christ; relocating crocodiles to new enclosures with Malay college students at the Malaka Zoo; teaching orphans in India how to play Jesus Loves Me on little recorders; having Indian villagers flock to us for prayer knowing that we know and serve a Mighty God!

Yes, my Father wins the prize for lofty dreams! And he's done it again!


This road He has me on is winding and full of surprises! Even when I hold certain expectations in my heart for something, He often exceeds them, and again, I am reminded of His amazing love for me and that He holds me in His mighty hands.


"He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul," Psalm 23:2b-3a

Time in fellowship with Him and in His word and enjoying the beauty of His creation brings me joy, peace and renewal unlike any other.



And I wouldn't trade any of it. None of it at all! His plans were to mold me and stretch me far from what I knew as a young girl in that small town. To take me away, draw me closer to Him, grow me and strengthen me, only to bring me right back to where it all started. Not the same, but sanctified even more. And yet with so much farther yet to go. Not that it has been easy as I often have struggled to surrender myself to Him, and when I do, it's always way more than I could ever dream.


I've had a little time to think while here, and not that I've really figured anything out but it has been more of a dwelling upon who He is, and where He has brought me from. Remembering times from the past long forgotten in my own mind and praising Him for the chance to remember. I planned this trip thinking I would finally see a land I longed to see for many years. And I did, but it has turned into so very much more! The people I have met, some I even consider friends now, new experiences I have had like white water rafting and traveling alone for the first time (which, to the core of me, I love to do things I have never done before!)

So there it is.

God the Father, my Father, has blown me a away again...and I am not surprised! He longs to pour Himself into me and see the wonder and awe on my face like a parent with a young child.

Zephaniah 3:17 (English Standard Version)

17 The LORD your God is in your midst,
a mighty one who will save;
he will rejoice over you with gladness;
he will quiet you by his love;
he will exult over you with loud singing.

2 comments:

Christy said...

SO glad you are having a lovely time- life doesn't seem right here without you- miss seeing your smiling face!!! Can't wait to see you again but we are glad you are living your dream there. See you soon!

Amber said...

Aww..thanks Christy : ) I'm ready to come back and see everyone and get back into a routine. AND try to make the next ladies' night!!