Sunday, July 19, 2009

Summer Reading List

Well, now that summer is about to draw to a close (speaking in terms of school break) I figured I should get around to posting my summer reading list. I have pretty much read most of what's on my list and have added two unexpected reads last minute -- but here is what I've crammed into my mind the past few months:

Humility by CJ Mahaney
:: A few more chapters to go in this one, I'm working through it slowly as it's one of those that pricks the heart and brings conviction ::

Radical Womanhood by Carolyn McCulley
:: Very fascinating book that focuses much on the history and residual impact of feminism on Christianity ::

The Lord's Day by Joseph A. Pipa Jr.
:: Great book on keeping the Lord's day Holy and setting that day apart to keep one's mind and heart on the Lord. I highly recommend it! ::

The Valley of Vision a collection of puritan prayers
:: I'm slowly reading through this but I adore the way in which these prayers were written and very much convicted, uplifted, encouraged, captivated and comforted by them ::

Alaska by Tracie Peterson
:: The first Christian fiction romance novel I've ever read and was only drawn to it because it was set in Alaska -- For which I depart in a mere TWO days!!! Woohoo!!!! : ) The book was well written and included a lot of historical and cultural information - not to mention a few hard-hearted gals that were eventually won over by their pursuer (both Christ and a rugged Alaska man) ::

Desiring God by John Piper
:: I must admit this book is the one that is taking me the longest to wade through. I have SUCH a hard time grasping Piper -- or perhaps there is just so many nuggets of truth it takes my pea brain a while to digest it all! ::

Torches of Joy by John Dekker and Lois Neely
:: A book from Rachel's homeschool curriculum that Carol graciously let me borrow! It was SUCH a good read about the conversion of stone age tribes in Indonesia/Papua New Guinea in the late 1960's and on into the 70's and 80's. The anthropologist in me was pleased : ) A good last minute addition to reading list for sure! ::

Respectable Sins by Jerry Bridges
:: I'm only about 6 chapters in this book and can only describe this one as an easy read yet a hard read. : ) Easy because I like his writing style and it's easy for me to follow, yet hard because it does bring about conviction and sheds light on some dark places in the heart. I highly recommend this book and rarely do so for books I haven't finished yet! ::

Just Do Something by Kevin DeYoung
:: Another last minute addition but I was very glad it was recommended and was glad that I read it! It's a really easy read with juicy nuggets of truth about making decisions and not wasting time in prayer over things that are not moral issues - such as what job to take, whether we should move or not, etc. Basically if we are walking in Christ, it should be easier to make decisions according to God's will ::

Let the Nations Be Glad by John Piper
:: Rereading portions of this one -- it is a GREAT book about missions and one I turn to often! ::

The books of Ruth and Esther by the One and only, Almighty, Omniscient and Ever-Present God.
:: I did a MacArthur bible study on these two books and was strengthed in my knowledge of God's providence and provision ::

The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis
:: I'm ashamed to admit that I have never read The Chronicles of Narnia series but am determined to remedy such a statement from my life! : ) Plus this series is an easy read and a good breather for my mind ::

The Mark of a Man by Elisabeth Elliot
:: This too is a very late addition - so much so that it hasn't even arrived in the mail yet! I bought it for the plane ride to Alaska. It is one I have wanted to read for quite a while but haven't gotten around to it. Plus I really like Elisabeth Elliot's books! :: ((Last minute edit -- sadly enough my flight leaves tomorrow and this book did not arrive in time. Boo! Looks like this will be the book I try to read quickly before classes start for the semester.))

So there you have it! Only a few more books to finish and then it's back to anatomy and all things medical once classes start again.

And to make this post a bit more interactive -- please comment and leave some titles of books you are reading/have read that you would recommend! I'm always taking new recommendations! : )

No comments: