Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Daughter Of A King

I recently signed up for a daily email devotional from Charles Spurgeon's Morning and Evening.

This morning's devotional shed light on the darkness of my continued reliance upon things, people, friends, and family here rather than immediately turning, running, crying out and fully relying upon Christ -- in ALL things.

"For I was ashamed to require of the king a band of soldiers
and horsemen to help us against the enemy in the way: because
we had spoken unto the king, saying, The hand of our God is
upon all them for good that seek him; but his power and his
wrath is against all them that forsake him." -- Ezra 8:22

Would any believers seek state endowments for their Church,
if they remembered that the Lord is dishonoured by their asking
Caesar's aid? as if the Lord could not supply the needs of his own
cause! Should we run so hastily to friends and relations for
assistance, if we remembered that the Lord is magnified by our implicit
reliance upon his solitary arm? My soul, wait thou only upon God.

It is a most blessed thing to have no props and no buttresses,
but to stand upright on the Rock of Ages, upheld by the Lord alone.


Lately it has been so easy for me to hop on the back of the pity wagon and complain to friends, thinking I'll feel better, but in the end, wallow further into my sin. A dear friend admonished me last night to search the scriptures and find every single passage that tells me who I am in Christ - and to focus on these. She said that she has a 3-ring binder with pages and pages of notecards that remind her that she is the daughter of a Mighty King and has a Savior who is wild about HER!

I will make that my new pursuit in the Lord. Because after reading the devotional He only confirmed in me the truth that I need to pursue Him and learn more of who I am in Him alone; not who I am as defined by this world or as a college student or as a single or as a sinner; but simply the daughter of a King.

It is my prayer this day that the Lord will be magnified by my implicit
reliance upon his solitary arm.

My soul, wait thou only upon God.

No comments: