Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Thankfulness

Nine years can be a long time. Children are born. College degrees are earned. Several journeys can be made to distant lands. Tears are shed, laughter is spread, dance recitals are attended, Christmases come and go. And yet, a song, or thought or the very essence of a place can transport a mind, retracing those long years to recount the years before.

Nine years ago today was when the Lord called my dad home. And I know that my dad truly is in Glory, with the Father and Savior he loved and faithfully served, and from what little I understand about Heaven, I'm sure of this, that he is seeing amazing things and his heart and mind is on nothing else but praising Jesus.

Despite the thought of that, in my flesh, I miss my dad so much. And not just for the obvious reasons of the fact that he truly loved us, and spent so much time with us. He worked so hard during the day and into the night many times to free up his weekends to spend with us. But also I painfully miss the security and guidance I always got from him.


He wasn't the kind of man to just tell me what to do when I would go to him about something, but he would always ask questions to make me think beyond what my little mind understood at the time and would gently and lovingly guide me in wisdom. And Oh, I miss that greatly.

I know what true adoration is because he not only loved us, he adored us with everything he had.


Dad taught me so much about enjoying the moment, well not just that, but making the time to make the moments happen.

He pushed us beyond ourselves to achieve and/or fail...and teach us how to persevere in the failures. And to continue to experiment, and try, and discover. And to laugh.


He inspired us in mischief. And loved us deeply.

Papaw and little Madison.


At Christmas time, one would often wonder who the toys were really for : )

He always made time for us, to teach us new things and open our eyes to new experiences. Allowing us to dive in and get our hands dirty.


He inspired me to love others passionately and to love the Lord even more. What a legacy.

I miss him terribly, but I don't want him back. Not here anyway.

I long for the day to stand side-by-side with him praising our Savior, as He modeled for me in his life here.

My dad wasn't perfect, but I am so thankful the Lord blessed me with him as my dad. I know so few are as fortunate to know and be loved by the man they know as father.

Yes, I am thankful.

2 comments:

Christy said...

thanks for sharing. . . very special

Jessica said...

Amber,

I appreciated hearing your thoughts of your dad and seeing your family pictures.