Thursday, July 8, 2010

As The Mercury Rises

So...here's a question. Is it hot enough??

Last night I took Daisy out so she could stretch her legs and do her "deed" in the field as I always do before heading to bed. Our evening routine has become a fun one for me, especially since the lightning bugs have come out to put on their display.

So as Daisy Lou scurried around I started scanning the field. To my dismay, there were no little yellowish/green glints of summer joy to be found floating on the hot, stale air.

I walked around the side of the house to look in the backyard and I waited quietly, almost holding my breath. I don't know why I was quiet, it's not like they can be spooked! Anywho, finally after a few seconds of waiting, one bright little beacon of summer hope lit up near the bird sanctuary. A smile graced my face and relief washed over me. That one little bug made me feel better!

It's rather silly but there were a few moments where I had thought that perhaps the extreme summer heat had done the poor little critters in or that the season for lightning bugs had come to a close! I've honestly never considered how long they hang around for a Kentucky summer. I don't really give much thought to summer, seeing as I tend to bloom in winter. BUT, I am trying to enjoy this season and the bounty it brings. Lightning bugs are a part of that bounty.

Blueberries, crafts and garden veggies are also!

Okay, so to the main point of today's post. I've REALLY gotten behind in the posts I've planned to make. We can all blame this on my medical microbiology class I'm taking this summer. Let's blame it together in our slowest and best sing-songy voice....THANK YOU med. micro.

That's better.


The summer hasn't been a total loss. I have managed to pick 11.5 pounds of blueberries (Thank you Aunt Kayla!) and make all sorts of yummy goodies! Starting with blueberry jam!


: ) Yum! Yum! Yum! ( :

Here's my recipe:

5 cups fresh blueberries
2 tsp. cider vinegar
2 1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. ground clover

Method - Combine all ingredients in a large stainless steel pot. Cook to jell point or desired thickness. Stir frequently.
Ladle into clean hot pint jars leaving 1/4 inch head space in jar.
Process for 15 minutes in boiling water bath at altitudes of up to 1,000 feet.
Yield - 5 half pints

And then, the best part! You can decorate them up with fabric scraps and nifty bows and give them as Christmas gifts, birthday gifts or simply just because! The one below was given as a hostess gift to a special family as a "thank you" for their hospitality.


In other summer fun-ness...I made a few purchases at The Big Peach, a great little farmer's market off Hwy 41 in Indiana.


The sweet corn is for my first attempt at freezing the golden kernels of goodness so I can enjoy it in the splendor of winter as well! Farmer Brown, I am not, therefore I will buy the corn from those who do have the time to devote to digging and plowing and weeding. I basically just used a knife to gingerly* cut down each side of the ear of corn to cut off the kernels. I placed them in a ziploc freezer bag and viola! Instant sweet corn from the freezer. I'm all about easy.

* disclaimer - I can't have any of you dear readers lopping off a finger at my direction. Please, let's try to keep all appendages in tact!

And then finally, summer's goodness and The Big Peach also brought fresh greens beans to my household! These were not frozen or canned as they are now all gone and made several appearances on my dinner table over the course of a few days : )

So there you have it! I've been very mindful to not curse these Summer days and the heat that accompanies them, but to enjoy them and know that sweater weather, snow and the possibilities of cross-country skiing are the horizon!

Now it's your turn, what kinds of things have you been doing to enjoy the summer? Any new recipes, crafts or activities that I could add to my summer-time shananigans?

No comments: